Welcome to the National Museum of Colombia. Founded on July 28, 1823, it is the oldest in the country. Since its creation as a natural history museum and school of mines, its collections have been exhibited in different venues in Bogota. In 1948, the collections came to this building, formerly the Central Penitentiary of Cundinamarca, also known as the "Panopticon".
Transformation of the Museum's two interior courtyards began in 1948, with the transfer of the collections to this building that formerly served as a prison. The old prison courtyards became gardens and a variety of species were planted around several fountains.
For information regarding the galleries and educational and cultural activities, enquire at the information desk in the lobby, or ask the museum guides (wearing red vests).